Rummy has been one of the most famous card games for the past two centuries. Here are some interesting facts covering its origins, variations, and other tidbits to get the players excited about the game.
Rummy is one of the most popular card games in the world. The Indian version of rummy, called Indian Rummy, is a variant of the 13 cards rummy games. Nowadays, the popularity of Rummy is rising steeply due to the advent of online rummy games. People can easily access the game from their phones and compete against highly skilled players from around the world.
Here are some interesting facts and trivia about the game that you can share with your fellow players while you are playing rummy online:
- The origin of rummy can be traced back to the early 19th century.
- In the past, having a deck of cards was a luxury that was reserved for the rich. The cards were hand-painted, and it required weeks of effort to create a single personalized deck. Nowadays, you do not even require a deck of cards. You can easily play online rummy as per your wish.
- Conquian card game from Spain and Mexico is thought to be a predecessor of rummy.
- The Spanish immigrants brought a variation of this game to America.
- Gin rummy and 500 rummy are the most popular rummy games in the USA.
- Another origin story states that Mahjong, a popular Chinese game, was the progenitor of the modern rummy game. The theory suggests that the Chinese created the card game as it was inconvenient for them to carry the mahjong tiles with them.
- The Chinese version later trickled down to the Indian sub-continent and became famous here.
- The Indian rummy game is also known as Paplu.
- The game was fairly popular in European countries during the First World War. The soldiers would regularly play these games in the camps and the cafes.
- A Hungarian reporter coined the term rummy since the rummy card games were popular in British pubs and Irish cafes.
- The word rummy is a British slang used to describe a drunkard or a ruffian.
- Rummy is considered to be the most popular game in the world with over 60 variants of the game and over 100 local variants.
- In 1970, the movie Poker showed a game of rummy as it was popular in most American households.
- For the last 51 years, rummy, Poker and Sports Betting are considered to be the highest level of residential gambling.
- Between 1960 and 1970, rummy, as a social game, was played more times than all the other board games combined.
- Rummy is also known as the mother of all card games as it is known to give birth to card games like Pinochle and Bridge.
- The instructions of rummy are so simple that new players only need 15 minutes to understand the rules and start their first game.
A23(Ace2Three) by Head digital has transformed online free rummy around the nation. Ace2Three allows the player to download their app on phones and desktops. This enables the users to play rummy online with other highly skilled players from around the world. A2 rummy app allows access to multiple rummy variants of the online rummy games.